Saturday, August 1, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 14:1, 15

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 14:1, 15
"And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he turned again to the multitude, and did open his mouth unto them again, saying: Verily, verily, I say unto you, Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

I noticed that we are being instruction in two different types of judgment. One hand we are asked not to judge, and on the other hand we are asked to beware of or judge if someone is a false prophet. How does one judge what is appropriate?  I found this great quote on this subject by a great judge himself President Dallin H. Oaks.

"I have puzzled that some scriptures command us not to judge and others instruct us that we should judge and even tell us how to do it. But as I have studied these passages I have become convinced that they seemingly contradictory directions are consistent when we view them with the perspective of eternity. The key to understand that there are two kinds of judging: final judgments, which we are forbidden to make, and intermediate judgments, which we are directed to make, but upon righteous principles.
First, a righteous judgment must, by definition, be intermediate...
Second, a righteous judgment will be guided by the Spirit of the Lord, not by anger, revenge, jealousy, or self-interest.
Third, to be righteous, an intermediate judgment must be within our stewardship.
Fourth, we should, if possible, refrain from judging until we have adequate knowledge of the facts
(Dallin H. Oaks, "Judge Not' and Judging", Ensign, Aug 1999, 7, 9-10)

It would seem that what I am not to give is any final judgment on the soul of a person. I would think great care would even be needed when facing a false prophet and pronouncing any final judgment on them. One never knows when a person will come to themselves and their condition. Every opportunity must be allowed for a person to repent. Zeezrom is a great example of this in the Book of Mormon.

I found another great quote this time by Elder M. Russell Ballard on false prophets.

"Therefore, let us beware of false prophets and false teachers, both men and women, who are self-appointed declarers of the doctrines of the Church and who seek to spread their false gospel and attract followers by sponsoring symposia, books, and journals whose contents challenge fundamental doctrines of the Church. Beware of those who speak and publish in opposition to God’s true prophets and who actively proselyte others with reckless disregard for the eternal well-being of those whom they seduce. Like Nehor and Korihor in the Book of Mormon, they rely on sophistry to deceive and entice others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion”
(M. Russell Ballard, "Beware of False Prophets and False Teachers", Oct 1999, General Conference)

The judgment I make in the case of false prophets and teachers affects my soul, which I have stewardship over. I have actually experienced meeting these people, who are selling and practicing priestcraft. Once I had quite the disturbing experience, and I could not flee their symposium fast enough. I may have had to judge them for myself but I took great care not to pronounce a judgment on what I thought they were to others. How would I know if they had come to themselves and repented.

My stewardship isn't to publish and report people. I only have stewardship over myself and family. Some individuals that I know personally, and have witnessed them entering deep water, I give a single warning on what they are dealing with. Hoping it would open their eyes, but the moment they want to contend the matter I leave them to themselves. I have learned from experience that false prophets and teachers will expose themselves for who they are to those that need to know. The only thing I can do is be there when they come to themselves.


Day 1951

No comments:

Post a Comment