Thursday, August 13, 2020

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 26:3, 9

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 26:3, 9
"And he did expound all things, even from the beginning until the time that he should come in his glory - yea, even all things which should come upon the face of the earth, even until the elements should melt with fervent heat, and the earth should be wrapt together as a scroll, and the heavens and the earth should pass away;
And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them."

Christ expounded all things to the Nephites, a greater part of it was recorded on the plates of Nephi. Moroni was going to write them all but was commanded not to. The Lord wanted to try our faith first before we would be ready to receive greater things.

I remember when this was said by President Spencer W. Kimball: 'When do you think we will get the balance of the Book of Mormon records?' And I have said, 'How many in the congregation would like to read the sealed portion of the plates?' And almost always there is a 100-percent response. And then I ask the same congregation, 'How many of you have read the part that has been opened to us?' And there are many who have not read the Book of Mormon, the unsealed portion. We are quite often looking for the spectacular, the unobtainable. I have found many people who want to live the higher laws when they do not live the lower laws." (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 531-32)

It was at that time that I bought a new set of scriptures and began to read the Book of Mormon, it was one of my many starts and stops in doing so. President Spencer W. Kimball died in 1985 and I wonder how many hands would be raised now saying they have read the Book of Mormon? With this year's "Come, Follow Me" focusing on the Book of Mormon all the hands should be raised.

The more I read the Book of Mormon the more I come to understand I have only begun to scratch the surface of what is contained in it. I am continually amazed at the new insight I see. During family scripture reading tonight I was struck by these words about the 2000 stripling warriors.

"..they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives..." (Alma 56:47

I realized that these young men probably between 12-16 years of age were willing to go through great personal sacrifice and discomfort for the well beings of their fathers. What does that even say about us when we do not want to be discomforted by wearing a simple mask in order to protect the lives of our parents. It is moments like these that I realize there is still so much to learn from the portion of the Book of Mormon I currently have. That if the saints truly had faith in its words it would be apparent by the actions in their lives. As much as I wish I could read the sealed portion, I know I am far from ready for it. Instead of dreaming of what I don't know I need to live and be what is already there.


Day 1963

No comments:

Post a Comment