Monday, July 17, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 31:13

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 31:13
"And they took their bones, and buried them under a tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days."

In this chapter it records the death a Saul and his 3 sons, including Jonathan. What stood out to me was how the men that recovered their bodied, fasted an incredibly long seven days after burning and burying their bones. I have fasted for others to be healed but I never thought of fasting after someone died. Recently, I had started fasting for joy, just in gratitude for all the Lord has done for me. I needed nothing else, just held my monthly fast for the joy of it, and I was filled with joy. But fasting for sorrow, and mourning that had not occurred to me. Yet, now I see it has always been in the scriptures. I would imagine if I can fast for joy to have joy, that one in mourning could fast to find comfort and peace. One could fast for another in mourning so they would be comforted.

As I pondered more on this new thought I realized I felt absolutely no sorrow for the death of Saul. I did for Jonathan, but not Saul. I was rather done with Saul. You know that's not really the right way to feel about any person. Maybe if I felt that way about someone's death that I would very much need to fast to be in the right frame of mind in the matter. In the case of Saul maybe I would need 7 days to right myself with fasting. It did make me wonder if there are parts of the story of Saul that are missing from the bible.


Day 842

No comments:

Post a Comment