Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 26:12

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Samuel 26:12
"So David took the spear and the cruse of water from Saul's bolster; and they gat them away, and no man saw it, nor knew it, neither awaked: for they were all asleep; because a deep sleep from the Lord was fallen upon them."

I was struck by the words "deep sleep". I had heard of the Lord causing a deep sleep before, but I wondered how many actual references in the scriptures there are. There are 18 references to deep sleep. I read all of them.

It seems the Lord can use a deep sleep to blind the wicked from his righteous work. He can also use it to bring visions of the night. He's used it as a tool for the righteous to flee, or for them to achieve his errand. He even used it when he removed one of Adam's ribs.

This made me think of this verse.

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." (Alma 37:37)

Since I was a child I have always said my prayers before going to bed at night. I could never fall asleep without doing so. What a comfort it is to me to know the Lord will watch over me while I am sleeping.


Day 837

No comments:

Post a Comment