Sunday, April 17, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 2:13-15

Today's Favorite Verse: Mormon 2:13-15
"But behold, this my joy was vain, for their sorrowing was not unto repentance, because of the goodness of God; but it was rather the sorrowing of the damned, because the Lord would not always suffer them to take happiness in sin.
And they did not come unto Jesus with broken hearts and contrite spirits, but they did curse God, and wish to die. Nevertheless they would struggle with the sword for their lives.
And it came to pass that my sorrow did return unto me again, and I saw that the day of grace was passed with them, both temporally and spiritually; for I saw thousands of them hewn down in open rebellion against their God, and heaped up as dung upon the face of the land. And thus three hundred and forty and four years had passed away.

In 325 AD Mormon is 15 years old and made leader of the Nephite army. A year later he takes them into battle. I grieved as I read what he recorded about their history when 34 years old. "I did forbear to make a full account of their wickedness and abominations, for behold, a continual scene of wickedness and abominations has been before mine eyes ever since I have been sufficient to behold the ways of man."  

The verses I selected happened in 330 AD so he was only 20 years old. Already he knew their mourning wasn't for repentance but was the sorrow of the damned. Why were they damned? Because they knew the Lord and openly rejected him. They just didn't get along with what he wanted them to do. They loved sin more than God. They thought they had a better way and could take care of things in their own strength. Unfortunately we will see how that works out for them. It doesn't, as Mormon says "The strength of the Lord was not with us; yea, we were left to ourselves, that the Spirit of the Lord did not abide in us; therefore we had become weak like unto our brethren." That just breaks my heart.

All they needed to do is repent. Turn away from their sins and come to Christ. He would have been their strength and guide. He would have protected and lifted them up. They would have won the battle both physically and spiritually. Now what I see as Mormon writes is the mourning of the damned. My only comfort is knowing that Mormon loved the Lord and protected these sacred records. He wrote the end of his people so I could profit from it, and not become like them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment