Sunday, April 10, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 26:6-11

Today's Favorite Verse: 3 Nephi 26:6-11
"And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundreth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;
But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.
And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.
And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.
Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people."

I pondered on why faith is necessary before we can receive all that was written on the plates of Nephi, and also in the sealed portion of the golden plates. My mind kept going back to the temple. Why are things there not given to all the world? Without faith those that do not believe would mock and be under condemnation. You must believe the basics of the gospel, having faith in the restoration of the gospel before you can appreciate more. A loving God does not give us more than we are able to be accountable for. I have found in the temple layers of meanings, more than ever expressed. There is always something new to ponder on. The Holy Ghost questions and instructions beyond the outward signs and words. It only comes as I am ready to receive it.

As I pondered on this I had to ask myself what is the connection to the temple and that which is sealed? I have to think that what is sealed can be opened to an individual as they are ready. Nothing is denied if you are ready. Being ready means I have faith to the point it is faith no more, but pure knowledge. Like the brother of Jared, seeing the finger of Lord because he could not be kept behind the veil. Even Jared went up to mount Shelem to speak with the Lord. The holy mountains of the Lord are the temples that dot the earth. Even Christ as he appeared and taught the people of Nephi, and those once Lamanites, did so at the temple site in Bountiful. It would make sense to me that the manifesting of sealed things, greater things, would come in the house of the Lord as his saints are ready to receive them.

Maybe as I have been waiting for the seal portion to be made known to the church as a whole I am wrong. Maybe it will only be made known to those ready to receive it in the house of the Lord. In fact I know some of those greater things are already there. The sifting of the wheat and tares within his church would have to come, so all remaining would be worthy to enter into His House and receive greater things as a whole. Until that day comes I see an even greater need for us to be a temple worthy people. Just reading and accepting the Book of Mormon is not enough. As a people we must appreciate the temple too. No wonder there is a greater and greater emphasis on attending the temple by the prophet and church leaders.


No comments:

Post a Comment