Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse - Acts 17:16, 29

Today's favorite verse: Acts 17:16, 29
"Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry."
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device."

Scripture reading today brought a smile on my face. I read verse 16 and when it spoke of Paul seeing the whole city given to idolatry a picture of New York City came into my mind. How would Paul describe seeing throngs of people carrying cell phones in their hands? Appearing to bow down and worship their God. I thought on other things society worships today.

Then I read verse 29 and it sealed that impression. The bright lights, the stone buildings, Wall Street trading gold and silver. AND the cell phone again as man's device. What an interesting way for that to be put, using the word device.

So I pondered over how these elements mentioned can be all used for good or evil means. I see beautiful temples built out of stones. There are moving pieces of artwork that bring me closer to Christ. Man's device the cell phone can be used to record our family history, communicate with loved ones, and read our scriptures. They help in furthering the Lord's work. So it's not the things themselves that are bad, its what we are doing with them. It's where are hearts are placed in using them. The key is when you are using something is it bringing us to Christ or away from him.




No comments:

Post a Comment