Saturday, August 4, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Proverbs 22:28

Today's Favorite Verse: Proverbs 22:28
"Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set."

Wow, this really jumped out at me. If it wasn't for what is happening to historic landmarks right now this verse would have seemed insignificant. I searched to see if there were any more verses mentioning removing landmarks.

"Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the Lord thy God giveth thee to possess it."
(Deuteronomy 19:14)

"Some remove the landmarks; they violently take away flocks, and feed thereof."
(Job 24:2)

"Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:"
(Proverbs 23:10)

"The princes of Judah were like them that remove the bound: Therefore I will pout out my wrath upon them like water."
(Hosea 5:10)

The bound in this verse means HEB boundary marker.

BD Nebuchadnezzar, NebuchadrezzarOr Nabu-kudur-usur. Nebo, protect the crown! (or, thelandmark). The great king of Babylon (604–561 B.C.), son of Nabopolassar, the founder of the empire (see Assyria and Babylonia); defeats Necho, king of Egypt, at Carchemish and drives the Egyptians from Syria (Jer. 46:2–12); subdues Judah (2 Kgs. 24:1); besieges Jerusalem (24:10–11) and takes it, carrying away the king and people (25:1, 8, 22; 1 Chr. 6:15; 2 Chr. 36; Ezra 1:7; 2:1; 5:12, 14; 6:5; Neh. 7:6; Esth. 2:6; Jer. 27:6, 8, 20; 28:3, 11, 14; 29:1, 3; 34:1; 39:5). For his relations with Daniel, by whom his dreams were interpreted, see Dan. 1–5. He was for a time smitten with madness and on his recovery acknowledged God’s power and goodness.

As I pondered on this I realized that a nation that is overtaken has things carried away. It would seem we are in the middle of being taken over. By whom and what exactly I don't know. But, the loss of landmarks is not a good thing. So much so, the Lord has warned against doing so.

I always loved this Civil War monument in the center of downtown Glens Falls, NY. I had to look up at it every time we drove passed.  I wanted to know who's names were on it. Were any of them related to me? It fanned the flames of a genealogist inside of me. I don't think its in danger of coming down, since we were on the right side of the war, but who knows? People seem to want to remove anything to erase the past, instead of learning from it. Maybe that's why the Lord said not to remove them.



Day 1225

No comments:

Post a Comment