Thursday, December 5, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Hebrew 5:13-14

Today's Favorite Verse: Hebrew 5:13-14
"For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their sense exercised to discern both good and evil."

The subject of the milk and meat of the gospel has been one I have strong feelings over. Years ago, I remember my husband and I being late for Sunday School, so we cut through the gym. On the way we met this brother that took the chance to speak with us about how much he disliked Sunday School. He said he was tired of only getting milk and never being taught the meat of the gospel. I left feeling rather unimpressed by his perceived superiority. I've heard several rants like this over the years and it does nothing but cause my spirit to hurt for them. I think the milk of the gospel is extremely important.

One day I was enjoying eating a bowl of homemade Zuppa Toscana brought over by a neighbor. As I was eating I noticed how every time I dipped my spoon into the milk up came pieces of meat with it. I could not eat the meat unless I had a spoonful of milk. I then reflected on the milk and meat of the gospel and how they go hand in hand.

"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:"
(1 Peter 2:2)

What I love about the verse in Hebrew is that meat comes to those that through experience discern good and evil. If I put that with the verse in Peter it comes by growing on the sincere milk of the word. If you push away the milk you will never understand the meat. Understanding just grows deeper and more sure over time.



Day 1711

No comments:

Post a Comment