Thursday, December 12, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Hebrew 12:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Hebrew 12:1
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

I was drawn to the phrase "run with patience". I have made a study on the word patience, for that is one of the lessons I am learning right now. I have thought a lot on patience, as in sitting and waiting for the Lord's will. I had not thought about running with patience? One thing that the footnote does refer me to is Perseverance, along with Patience, Patient and Patiently. I could not find anything that gave me more understanding on "run with patience". So I pondered on it. 

So what would I be running from or to in this verse?  It appears I am running from sin. That I am taking the great weight of sin and removing it. To remove sin I would need to run to the Savior. The rest of the chapter speak of enduring and not to despise chastening. So maybe what I need is patience with myself as I run this race of life. For I will endure chastening for my profit and learning. Maybe I'm not so much running, but enduring. Probably why it also referred me to perseverance. One that runs must learn to pace themselves to endure the race. It is building spiritual stamina, through dedication, perseverance and self-discipline, everything a runner would need. They also run "the race that is set before us". Meaning they don't define the course themselves. They run the race the officials have set out. So I am running and enduring the course the Lord has set out for me.


Day 1718

No comments:

Post a Comment