Friday, April 26, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Zechariah 4:4-6

Today's Favorite Verse: Zechariah 4:4-6
"So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord?
Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
The he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts."

This shows a pattern of how the spirit or messengers from the Father teaches. It comes through questions and answers. When the question is asked with a desire to learn and to know, and not as a challenge or with doubt, the answer will be given.

This reminds me of symbolism and how it was also given in Lehi's vision of the tree of life. How Nephi after inquiring is then taught by an angel the meaning.

"And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?
And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.
And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God?
And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.
And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh."
(1 Nephi 11:14-18)

The conversation that Nephi has with the angel goes on for a few chapters. I am always struck with how easy it is for him to say "I don't know", and then he is taught. It shows me that I should never hesitate to inquiry of the Lord the meaning of things I do not understand. As I am humble I am taught by the spirit what the Father would have me know. I've also found that sometimes the answers don't come until I asked the right question. It is both the questions and the answers that are inspired by the spirit.

Nephi’s vision of Mary, by James Johnson.

Day 1490

No comments:

Post a Comment