Sunday, April 21, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Haggai 1:5-7

Today's Favorite Verse: Haggai 1:5-7
"Now therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.
Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways."

I have to share this April 1973 General Conference talk by Elder L. Tom Perry, "Consider Your Ways" that describes what I was thinking as I read this perfectly.

"I have read this great scripture and continue to be impressed with how clearly the Old Testament prophet describes the conditions of today. Almost daily we read of those who invest for little return. We eat food so refined that the nourishment is lacking. We witness the drink that can never satisfy the thirst for those who drink; the dressing for style, rather than warmth, comfort, and modesty; the high wages of the wage earner today which still do not satisfy or supply his needs.

A noted historian several years ago summarized the reasons for the fall of Rome as follows:

1. The breakdown of the family and the rapid increase of divorce.
2. The spiraling rise of taxes and extravagant spending.
3. The mounting craze for pleasure and the brutalization of sports.
4. The decay of religion into myriads of confused forms, leaving the people without a uniform guide.

Our unconquered appetites and consuming drive for material possessions appear to be leading us on a course so often repeated in history. Greed, lust, and desire historically have only led mankind to waste, destruction, and suffering."

What was the answer Haggai prophesied?  To build the temple. I find it so interesting because I found after going to the temple and reading my scriptures daily that one day I noticed the perpetual list of things that I wanted was gone. When my soul was filled I no longer needed to fill it with material things. The blessings of the temple are exactly what people need.

Mount Timpanogos Temple Spring Sunrise by Rory Wallwork

Day 1485

No comments:

Post a Comment