Thursday, March 28, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Amos 7:14-15

Today's Favorite Verse: Amos 7:14-15
"Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:
And the Lord took me as I followed the flock, and the Lord said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

Amos was called of God as a prophet when he was just a humble herdman. I pondered on how the Lord has used that pattern in the past and continued in this dispensation. Joseph Smith was called when a humble farm boy of fourteen.

It made me think of William Tyndale who was strangulated and burned at the stake for the offense of translating the bible into English.

"I defie the Pope and all his laws. If God spare my life, ere many years I wyl cause a boy that driveth the plough to know more of the Scripture, than he doust." Another variant of the quote is "I will cause a boy that driveth the plough shall know more of the scriptures than thou doest."

Even after Tyndale's death his prophetic words came to fulfillment. His translation efforts were used by noted scholars for the majority of the Kings James version of the English Bible. It was that version of the bible that a humble farm boy read in James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Never had any passage of the scripture struck Joseph's heart as this did. This lead to him deciding to ask God which of all church's he should join. The heavens were opened and God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ appeared to the young Joseph to answer that humble prayer. Prophets don't decide to be prophets, it is the Lord that calls them to be.



Day 1461


No comments:

Post a Comment