Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 23: 25, 27

Today's Favorite Verse: Jeremiah 23: 25, 27
"I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal."

This made me reflect on dreams. My feelings on them have changed over the years. I used to be so consumed by reading other people's dreams. I think its that part of spiritual immaturity that makes you want to feed your soul with the sensational. Now if you tell me you had a dream I don't become very fascinated by it. It's your dream, not mine. I don't have any desire to know what other people are dreaming. In fact I've seen how people have gone off the deep end reading other people's dreams. I just don't want to go there, unless you really are THE prophet.

That said, I haven't dreamed in a while and the other night I had one. I know it had symbolism and I have pondered on it since. I prayed about it and was told to write it down in my journal. Then I would watch and see if it happened. This would help me understand personal revelation better. I have to say it was far more exciting to write this dream down for my own personal use, then it has ever been sharing it with someone else.

I know there was a conference talk about being careful about reading other people's dreams. It was either President Oaks or President Ballard that gave the talk, but I am not sure if I am recalling it correctly. I don't think this is the one but I liked this quote from this particular talk just the same.

"Many members of the Church have had visions or other inspirations to inform them about how things operate or are organized in the spirit world, but these personal spiritual experiences are not to be understood or taught as the official doctrine of the Church. And, of course, there is abundant speculation by members and others in published sources like books on near-death experiences.
We can all wonder privately about circumstances in the spirit world or even discuss these or other unanswered questions in family or other intimate settings. But let us not teach or use as official doctrine what does not meet the standards of official doctrine. To do so does not further the work of the Lord and may even discourage individuals from seeking their own comfort or edification through the personal revelation the Lord’s plan provides for each of us. Excessive reliance on personal teachings or speculations may even draw us aside from concentrating on learning and efforts that will further our understanding and help us go forward on the covenant path. "
(Dallin H. Oaks, Trust in the Lord, Oct 2019, General Conference)





Day 2927

No comments:

Post a Comment