Saturday, January 6, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 25:26

Today's Favorite Verse: Acts 25:26
"Of whom I have no certain thing to write unto my lord. Wherefore I have brought him forth before you, and specially before thee, O king Agrippa, that, after examination had, I might have somewhat to write."

I learned something new in my study. King Agrippa was Jewish. I thought it was a curiosity that he wanted to hear Paul. Now I understand he had a more knowledge about the issue surrounding Paul, the Jews and Christians.

"Herod Agrippa II (also called Marcus Julius Agrippa) was the seventh and last king in the Jewish Herodian dynasty. He ruled the territory northeast of the Sea of Galilee from about A.D. 55 to 93. He was the son of Herod Agrippa I, who ordered the death of James and imprisoned Peter (see Acts 12:1–4); the grandson of Herod Antipas, who had John the Baptist beheaded (see Matthew 14:1–12); and the great-grandson of Herod the Great, who ordered the slaughter of the infants of Bethlehem (see Matthew 2:16).Agrippa’s kingdom lay to the north of Festus’s territory. Agrippa and his sister Bernice (whom some believed he was having an incestuous affair with) visited Festus in Caesarea while Paul was imprisoned there. Because Agrippa was a Jew and was therefore more familiar with Jewish affairs than Festus, who was a Roman, Festus hoped that Agrippa could help him understand the accusations against Paul and also help draft his letter to Caesar (see Acts 25:24–27; 26:3).."
(New Testament Study Manual, "Herod Agrippa II", Chapter 34: Acts 21-28)



Day 3202

No comments:

Post a Comment