Monday, January 29, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 4:5

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 4:5
"Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God."

I've had occasion a couple times recently to want to relate a story I read years ago in some type of question and answer page for members. This one sister related how they heard a wonderful talk given by a young man in sacrament meeting. They felt the spirit so strong. Yet, while driving home from church they were surprised to see this same young man walking home smoking a cigarette. They were so confused as to how they could have felt the spirit as he spoke while he was obviously breaking the word of wisdom. Whomever answered explained that regardless of the messenger, the message they heard was spiritual truth and the spirit bore witness to them of it. What they needed to focus on was their own worthiness to receive the spirit. I wish I could find that article again, its probably 30 years old now.

My father years ago told me to not base my testimony on others, and that has withstood the test of time, and not shaken it by the actions of others. I can feel disappointed or sadden for them, but we will never know their full story, and it isn't ours to judge. I've had those that have left the church tell me they left because so and so did this or that, thinking that because of their calling they should have known or done better. Totally forgetting the fact we are all being tried and tested. Just because they are called a leader doesn't mean they are perfect. Even though we wish they were. I remember a wise stake president once telling me that bishops are called for two reasons. One, is they are great spiritual leaders, the other is because they have a lot to learn. My stake president then asked me to help my bishop learn. Doesn't matter what calling a person has or not, we are all here to learn. The purposes will reveal themselves in time. Nothing is hidden from the Lord.



Day 3225

No comments:

Post a Comment