Saturday, November 25, 2023

Today's Favorite Verse: John 4:2

Today's Favorite Verse: John 4:2
"(Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)"

I pondered on why Jesus never baptized anyone? After reading in 1st Corinthians I could see the wisdom of Him not doing it so others would not contend thinking it made a difference on who baptized them. Those being baptized by Jesus may have thought themselves superior to those who had not been.

"For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name."
(1 Corinthians 1:11-15)

The next thing I found was Jesus had a different role. He was to baptize by the Holy Ghost and fire.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"
(Matthew 3:11)

I think one of the main reasons is because baptism represents Christ's death, burial and resurrection. These things had not been fulfilled. What he did do is give power and authority to his apostles to baptize others. That was their role and calling. His role was to fulfill what it represented.



Day 3160

No comments:

Post a Comment