Saturday, April 30, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Esther 3:2

Today's Favorite Verse: Esther 3:2
"And all the king’s servants, that were in the king’s gate, bowed, and reverenced Haman: for the king had so commanded concerning him. But Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence."

I was always stuck on why Mordecai would not bow down to Haman. It was not like he was worshipping him as a god. I always thought of him in proud defiance. It wasn't until I read the Apocrypha and the additional chapters of Esther that I understood.

"Thou knowest all things, and thou knowest, Lord, that it was neither in contempt nor pride, nor for any desire of glory, that I did not bow down to proud Aman.
For I could have been content with good will for the salvation of Israel to kiss the soles of his feet.
But I did this, that I might not prefer the glory of man above the glory of God: neither will I worship any but thee, O God, neither will I do it in pride."
(Old Testament Apocrypha, Greek Additions to Esther, Chapter 13:12-14)

Mordecai act was not out of pride, it was out of what was in his heart. It makes me think of those that object to things. The greater question is if the stand they take is out of pride or contempt, or from what is in their heart.



Day 2588

No comments:

Post a Comment