Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 127:2

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 127:2

"And as for the perils which I am called to pass through, they seem but a small thing to me, as the envy and wrath of man have been my common lot all the days of my life; and for what cause it seems mysterious, unless I was ordained from before the foundation of the world for some good end, or bad, as you may choose to call it. Judge ye for yourselves. God knoweth all these things, whether it be good or bad. But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in. It all has become a second nature to me; and I feel, like Paul, to glory in tribulation; for to this day has the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all, and will deliver me from henceforth; for behold, and lo, I shall triumph over all my enemies, for the Lord God hath spoken it."

This chapter is an epistle from Joseph Smith as he was forced to flee from his enemies. In it he instructs the saints on the method of baptism for the dead. Instead what I focused on was his reference of "deep water is what I am wont to swim in. It all has become a second nature to me". It reminded me of Ezekiel 47 and the water that issued out from the house of the Lord at the south side of the alter. First there was water to the ankles, then to the knees, up to the loins and finally waters to swim in. What a difference there is to wade through water and then freely swim. Is that not how we immerse ourselves in the gospel of Jesus Christ. There is a struggle until you totally immerse yourself and reach deep water and swim.

Joseph had trials since he was a boy. He had finally reach the point that he could glory in tribulation because they did not weigh him down or let them hold him back. He had turned himself over freely to the Lord and trusted him. Joseph was now swimming in living waters. What he then goes on to instruct the saints in becomes temple ordinances and blessings for those on both sides of the veil. Blessings that will flow from the temples to heal families and give them life. Temples can help prepare us to swim in deep waters, and glory in tribulation.



Day 2130

No comments:

Post a Comment